Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pirate Day


For some reason we have always loved acting like pirates, so when we were picking out fun days for the summer we knew Pirate Day was a must!!

We started off by having Captain Crunch for our piratey breakfast!!


Next we made little ships.  We cut out the bottom of a Styrofoam cup and they colored it brown. Then we put play doh in the bottom and added toothpicks with flags.  









Next we made hand print pirates.  I painted the kids hands in 3 layers as shown with red, skin, color, then black on their fingers and let them press on paper of their choice.



We let them dry then we added strips on the hat, eye patches, and eyes.  I think they turned out adorable!!


We love Captain Hook, so next we made the kids some hooks out of solo cups and tin foil.





Next they took their telescopes, compasses, and pirate bags(all of which we happen to have from a play set) and set off to hunt for gold.  I had taken golden coins and hid them.





Next I put on one of our favorite Veggie Tale songs, We are the Pirates who don't do anything and the kids hoped on one peg leg and covered their eyes for an eye patch and danced like pirates!








Then we took a break for a pirate lunch!!


While they ate lunch I read, "There was on old Pirate who swallowed a Fish".  What a fun book!!

Next we headed outside to our pirate ship(aka play set with a pirate flag) for some fun.  I took our bag of balls and the kids and I had a canon ball fight.  If you got hit you had to walk the plank(slide down the slide) into the water and if the alligator touched you, you had to do a silly dance!!




Then we put the canon balls on the trampoline and they had to dodge them.  Too fun!!




Next we played find the croc.  I don't have a kitchen timer because I use my stove timer, so I found the loudest clock we had and hid the alligator with it.  The kids had to listen to find it!


What's a pirate day without a treasure map.  I made a map and the kids had to follow it and find a golden coin in each room that lead to the treasure.


There treasure was magic rocks(which I mixed to runny so they had to stay in the cup cake tin).  I mixed water and baking soda and hid small prizes I found around the house in them and topped them off with glitter.  The kids took medicine droppers full of magic potion(vinegar) to free their prizes.









The prizes they freed!

To finish off our fun Pirate Day, we watched Peter Pan that I checked out at the library!!




Super fun day matey!!


No comments:

Post a Comment